Coworking spaces go much beyond a desk in which to work at; after all, you could simply have that at home! But for new members, we recognize how easy it is to get caught in an uneventful rut of a routine. To avoid burn-out and achieve ultimate satisfaction from one’s work environment, we thought we would discuss some tips on getting the most from your coworking space.
- Utilize the Amenities. Free coffee, gym on-site, professional phone answering, mail receiving services; whatever is offered that you might use, use it! Chances are, you’re paying for it anyway in your membership, so might as well get your bang for your buck!
- Make it a Habit to Be There. Just like it would be your routine to go to work, make it your routine to utilize your membership. The more you’re there, the more you’re likely to get out of the experience.
- Exert Some Discipline. Your hours may be flexible and you may not have a boss looming over you, but exerting some discipline can go a long way. Prepare the night before, plan out your arrival and departure time, and map out everything you plan to accomplish at during your day. Going in without a plan may mean more wasted time, and not make the space as worthwhile to you.
- Have the Tools. With all spaces being different, the tools for success may be as well. If you don’t have a dedicated office, noise canceling headphones and an extra-long charging cable for your phone and/or laptop may be necessary. Know what you need to get your best work done and come prepared.
- Participate Whenever Possible. Food drives, guest speakers, or drop in yoga classes may be offered at your space; go check them out! These will be the best ways of meeting new people and networking, and after all, isn’t that often what coworking is all about?
As always, keep in mind that facilities and their amenities will vary a lot, but in general, the effort you choose to put in as a member will greatly affect your experience. Give these tips a try to truly make your coworking space “work” for you!